This ad is expired.
Academic Department Administrator, Penn Arts and Sciences
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Academic Department Administrator, Penn Arts and Sciences
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Department Administrator is a seasoned administrator who handles the general office administration for the academic department and serves as the primary contact for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as providing administrative support to the Department Chair and faculty.
The purpose of this evergreen job posting is to allow us to engage with potential candidates who may have an interest in learning more about Department Administrator opportunities within the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. While each department may have varying needs, the description below outlines the general responsibilities and requirements.
If you meet the qualifications outlined and have an interest in being considered for positions that become available, please apply to this posting. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted directly if we would like to learn more about your background, in consideration for current and/or future job openings.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter as well as a resume in the CV section of your application. You can upload multiple documents to the "Resume/CV" section.
To learn more about Penn Arts & Sciences, please visit https://www.sas.upenn.edu/
About Penn Arts and Sciences:
The University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences forms the foundation of the scholarly excellence that has established Penn as one of the world's leading research universities. We teach students across all 12 Penn schools, and our academic departments span the reach from anthropology and biology to sociology and South Asian studies.
Members of the Penn Arts & Sciences faculty are leaders in creating new knowledge in their disciplines and are engaged in nearly every area of interdisciplinary innovation. The educational experience offered by Penn Arts & Sciences is likewise recognized for its excellence. The School's three educational divisions fulfill different missions, united by a broader commitment to providing our students with an unrivaled education in the liberal arts. The College of Arts and Sciences is the academic home of the majority of Penn undergraduates and provides 60 percent of the courses taken by students in Penn's undergraduate professional schools. The Graduate Division offers doctoral training to over 1,300 candidates in more than 30 graduate programs. And the College of Liberal and Professional Studies provides a range of educational opportunities for lifelong learners and working professionals.
Responsible for developing and maintaining communications, fielding inquiries, and guiding both students and faculty through a variety of University policies, resources, and procedures. Handles student activity coordination and provides guidance to students and support to faculty as related to academic and curriculum planning. Manages detailed curriculum database and confidential student record databases for the department. Responsible for coordinating human resource needs of department, including assisting with faculty and staff searches, appointments, maintains and organizes all records with strict confidentiality. Acts as departmental point person to budget and finance areas within SAS, including being knowledgeable about departmental expenses. Working in conjunction with the departments' business office, arrange for all concur reimbursements for department, and procurement processes, keeping track of emerging needs, changing priorities, required resources for departmental mission. Also responsible for department event planning and workshop coordination, as well as maintaining, updating, and developing the department website. Must also understand and effectively communicate the scholarly and teaching missions of the department and understand department degree requirements. As a seasoned administrator Incumbent will provide excellent and dedicated support to the department - utilizing impeccable administrative support skills to meet deadline. These positions are titled Department Administrator, Undergraduate Coordinator, and/or Graduate Coordinator.
H.S. diploma with 5 to 7 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required. Bachelor degree strongly preferred. Ideal candidate must possess strong organizational skills, strong written and oral communications skills, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Must have a professional demeanor with the ability to provide excellent customer service to a diverse audience including working as a team and individually. Must be curious and proactive; effortlessly take initiative. Self-starter with experience within a College or University setting. Ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of scholarly resources across the University that are available for both students and department faculty. Financial experience, event-planning experience, and an understanding of academic and curriculum planning are preferred. Familiarity with Penn's financial application strongly preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and resume when applying.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Arts and Sciences
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Academic-Department-Administrator--Penn-Arts-and-Sciences_JR00045044
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-07f5dbb1d6e6ea4c9c3be227bf006494