This ad is expired.
- Director, Financial Services
- Go to our website »
Director, Financial Services
Job no: 531178
Work type: Officer of Administration
Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Accounting/Finance, Administrative/Professional, Business Administration/Management, Executive/Management/Director, Operations/Infrastructure, Public Policy and Planning, Planning/Project Management
Department: Business Affairs
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band: OS-OA10-Fiscal Year 2022-2023
Application Review Begins
February 27, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit the following with your online application:
Financial Services is a unit within Business Affairs in the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university's many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping the campus safe, clean, accessible, and beautiful.
Business Affairs (BA) provides efficient and effective business services for University of Oregon (UO) students, faculty, and staff; manages and secures UO material assets; and ensures UO business is conducted in accordance with all applicable regulations, policies, procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and sound business practices.
Business Affairs consists of 5 divisions reporting to the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs/Controller and provides direct services to staff, students, and UO departments: Financial Services/Accounts Payable/Travel, Student Financial Services, Payroll, BA Information Systems, and Treasury Operations. These divisions manage one of the largest payrolls in Eugene, support UO supplies & services expenditures totaling more than $500 million, and manage the billing and collection of tuition and fees for more than 24,000 students. Business Affairs has approximately 64 FTE and an annual operating budget of $6.5 million.
The Director, Financial Services, reports to the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs/Controller and has specific responsibility for leadership of Financial Services. Financial Services is comprised of the following departments and duties:
- General Accounting
- Accounting and reporting of all UO financial transactions in accordance with all applicable regulations, policies, procedures, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and sound business practices
- Bank account reconciliations, check clearing procedures, and annual unclaimed property reporting/remission
- Month, quarter, and year-end closing procedures
- Maintenance of UO Chart of Accounts (currently more than 6,000 active funds)
- Oversee and approve UO foreign currency transactions
- Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Preparing Audited Financial Statements and Annual Financial Report
- Interfacing with the external audit firm on the annual financial statement audit
- Analyzing financial results under guidelines and directives issued by the State of Oregon, the Federal Government, and the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Identifying and addressing financial anomalies
- Monitoring funds for overdrafts
- Developing financial and cash balance projections
- Compiling and analyzing financial data for a variety of internal and external users
- Training campus constituents in UO financial accounting methods and systems
- Collaborating with Sponsored Projects Services on the F&A Study and Proposal process
- Property Control
- Managing and securing UO property in accordance with applicable state and federal regulations
- Maintaining centralized inventory of all UO fixed assets
- Managing Surplus Property operation, including eWaste
- Accounts Payable
- Maintaining UO vendor records and verifying W-9 status
- Reviewing invoices for compliance with UO policies
- Processing of checks, direct deposits, wire transfers, and Single Use Account files for vendor payments, employee reimbursements, and student refunds
- Preparing and distributing IRS Form 1099
- Establishing and monitoring departmental Petty Cash funds
- Reviewing travel reimbursement requests for compliance with UO policies and IRS guidelines
- Training and authorizing departmental travel processors
- Performing periodic post-travel reviews of travel reimbursement requests processed directly by department travel processors
- Negotiating and administering contracts with travel agencies and airlines
- Tax Analysis and Accounting
- Reporting of Unrelated Business Income (UBI)
- Preparing IRS Form 990-T
- Maintaining records on foreign national payees and reconciling information for IRS Form 1042-S reporting
- Researching complex tax issues, and interpreting and applying tax law, regulations, and case law to specific transactions
- Supporting UO campus with domestic and international taxation issues
Note: this position is based in Eugene, but occasional remote working arrangements may be considered.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report.
To apply, visit https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/531178/director-financial-services
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency