This ad is expired.
Media Relations Representative
The Johns Hopkins University seeks an effective, creative and nimble communications professional to identify, develop and promote news about the university, its experts, students, and key initiatives. The selected candidate will successfully interact with journalists to secure placements in high-profile news outlets both domestically and internationally.
The media relations representative promotes understanding and appreciation of Johns Hopkins by developing engaging stories related to the university, the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering and other schools and divisions.
The media relations representative will cultivate strong working relationships with reporters, editors, producers and hosts in print, broadcast and online newsrooms. The media relations representative will also develop strong working relationships with faculty, staff and student leaders of the university and with colleagues in the Office of Communications and other Johns Hopkins communications offices. The successful applicant will also be able to work collaboratively with communications colleagues to create successful tools such as video, social media and graphics.
The media relations representative will also perform other duties as assigned to advance the mission of the Office of Communications.
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will temporarily report remotely. Once permitted back to campus, this position will report to the Keswick campus located in Baltimore, Maryland.
NOTE: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify and develop compelling stories and angles about the work and key initiatives of the university and the activities of its students, faculty and staff
- Shape information in an engaging and appropriate manner into media pitches, news releases, media advisories, expert lists, and other content
- Prepare experts and subjects for media engagement
- Plan, execute and staff press conferences, events and interviews
- Proactively collaborate with communications colleagues to create multimedia news packages with video, audio, photos and infographics
- Effectively pitch story ideas to secure coverage in traditional and new media, with emphasis on high-impact national and international outlets
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists and with on-campus story sources and collaborators
- Support media relations functions including media contact database, distribution platforms, metrics/impact measurement tools and reports, media monitoring, clip compilations
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- B.A. degree in relevant discipline
- 2-4 years of related experience in journalism, media relations, or organizational communications
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and/or education, to the extent permitted by the Johns Hopkins University equivalency formula.
- Strong news judgment and reporting, writing and editing skills
- Ability to shape complex information, including the results of scholarly research, into understandable and engaging content
- Strong interpersonal communications skills with individuals of all levels in an organization
- Strong organizational, multitasking, and time-management skills
- Fast-paced, efficient mode of working and high productivity
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends, as necessary)
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Master's degree in relevant discipline
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Facility with A.P. style
- Ability to work with web content management systems, particularly Drupal and/or WordPress
- Ability to communicate effectively in social media
- Ability to art direct or collaborate to create multimedia content
- Ability to navigate web content and/or digital asset management systems
- Ability to utilize media contact databases and metrics/analytical tools to measure impact
Applicants strongly encouraged to submit a cover letter along with application
Classified Title: Media Relations Representative
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 60002576-University Communications
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Media-Relations-Representative-MD-21211/711432700/
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency